Sunday, April 29, 2012

Baby Shower Craft No. 1

The baby shower is complete! After a long day of onsies, books and diapers my cousin and her husband are set for round one. I have a couple of other crafts to share that were inspired by this shower. If you saw before I suggested to all the guests to bring a book instead of a card and I made book category slips and bookmarks to include with the invitations. Now I have a great storage crate and food display tags to share with you! Tonight I'm going to cover the crate, tomorrow I'll take your through the food labels! 

Storage Crate
I love including some kind of storage bin with my baby gifts. I came up with the perfect idea this time, a wooden crate with the baby's first initial! 

You will need the following: 
Wood Crate from Hobby Lobby
Wood Letter from Hobby Lobby
Spray paint (optional)
Acrylic Paint
Paint Brushes
Vaseline (optional)
Hot Glue Gun
Paint Scraper

Here is the wood crate you will need.


Here are the paints I used.


Here are the other supplies I used, excluding the paint scraper. 



I first put a stain on as the first coat. Just randomly swipe it around the crate. I used grey paint and some stain medium from Hobby Lobby. 


Next, put a good amount of Vaseline over the stained parts. Don't be conservative, you don't want the acrylic to adhere well to the stained areas. This will make it easier to scrape off and distress. I let it dry for a few minutes and then spray painted the outside and inside. You don't have to use spray paint, but It's a quick way to cover the first coat. After it dried I finished the coats with the acrylic paint. 

While your crate is drying you can work on your letter. Grab a wood letter like the one here. 


I painted mine Navy Blue and mixed the paint with the stain medium. 


Here is your crate once it is all dry!


Now it's time to start scraping. Scrape as little or as much as you want. It totally depends on how distressed you want it. 



By now your letter should be dry and you are ready to hot glue it on! 





Now that your crate is complete, put all your goodies inside! 




My cousin loved this crate! I have another craft idea for this box, so look for it in the future! Be inspired and create! 





No comments:

Post a Comment